Skip to main content
HE Travel Gay Travel Tours
All trip reports Trip Report Moderate to Strenuous

Mt. Chocorua Loop Hike

Saturday, February 7, 2026
Albany, NH
Moderate to Strenuous
Hosted by a member

The trip report

No write-up was added for this event.

Reactions

👍 ❤️ 🔥 😄 😮

Log in to react to this trip report.

About this event

Please join me for this 9.3 mile loop hike, one of the prettiest NH loops IMHO. It which will encompass the Carter Ledges, the Three Sisters and the summit of Mount Chocorua. While not a 4000-footer, Mount Chocorua has the feel of one.  It is very rugged and has excellent 360-degree views of the surrounding lakes, mountains, and forests.  Mount Chocorua's distinctive, bare summit can be seen from almost every direction and can be identified from many points throughout central New Hampshire and western Maine. The hike will ascend via the Piper and Carter Ledge Trails to the Carter Ledge and the Three Sisters (subpeaks).  After ascending the Chocorua summit, we'll return by way of the Liberty, Hammond, Weetamoo trails back down to the Piper trail.  There are lots of spectacular views along this route! 

NOTE:  Appropriate hiking boots with good traction are a must!  If anyone is uncomfortable with the steep drop-off at the Carter Ledges, they can take Piper trail all the way up to the Three Sisters trail and meet up with us at the Three Sisters summit. 

Total Distance and Elevation Gain:  9.3 miles with approximately 2800 feet in cumulative elevation gain. 

Total Time:  6-7.5 hours depending on breaks and the group's speed. 

Harsh weather may postpone to another date or cancel, as appropriate. 

What to Bring: Typical winter hiking gear: multi-layers of wicking (not cotton) hiking clothes, hiking boots (winter preferable), micro spikes, snowshoes potentially (will be recommended to bring or not before the hiking day), sunscreen, sunglasses, hand warmers, extra layers, etc.. Also bring along lunch, snacks and plenty of water (at least 2-L).

Carpooling:  Contact other participants or the trip leader to arrange.

Who came along (3)

A member
Profile hidden
A member
Profile hidden
rlricchi GUEST MEMBER
rlricchi
Somerville, MA

Comments

A member · Feb 1, 2026
Hey guys, weather is looking good for Saturday. I've pushed the start time to 8:30. Will send a final weather confirmation Thursday but the hike should be a go.
baezfred · Feb 4, 2026
Hi David. Sorry I won't make it. Mo and I are headed to Maine this Saturday. Hope you guys have a blast
nhclimber03264 · Feb 5, 2026
Given the potential low temperatures and wind chills forecast for Saturday, I am going to withdraw from this hike. I am not sure how extreme it will be, but I know I am not prepared. Have a great adventure and be safe!
A member · Feb 5, 2026
Saturday is looking good. little snow, not extreme temps.

TraisNH.com
Snow, mainly before 4pm. High near 20. Wind chill values as low as -1. Northeast wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 1 to 2 inches possible.

Mountain Forecast
Summit Forecast:
14 degrees down to 10 in the late afternoon
Wind chill 9 down to -11 in the late afternoon
A member · Feb 5, 2026
Plan on snowshoes and spikes - latest report:

https://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/viewreport.php?entryid=80340

Pumpernickel can you please confirm you are going to make the hike? thx
A member · Feb 6, 2026
Hi everyone, I am planning to withdraw from the trip. If I’m reading the forecasts correctly, it looks like the mountain is likely to be socked in, and I don’t want to wake up so early and drive so far for socked in. If you think I’m reading the forecast incorrectly, please let me know, but not planning to make it tomorrow. I’ll cancel now.
A member · Feb 6, 2026
Need to pull out - hope to catch you in a future outing. This is a fav loop tho - have fun!
rlricchi · Feb 6, 2026
I’m still up for a hike. In NH now. I might consider a trail combo that minimizes ledges and above treeline if there’s a lot of snow/wind.
A member · Feb 6, 2026
Hi Rob, yes I've been thinking along those lines. Primarly because the Ledges can be a bit tricky to follow in the winter if not somewhat broken. We’ve got a number of trail options. There hasn't been snow since Wednesday up there, or maybe at inch at the most. 25% chance of snow 1-3 inches in the morning hours and the beginning of the hike
A member · Feb 6, 2026
All Trails however is showing like no more than 14% or lower of snow all day in their new trail conditions feature. The wind is not looking bad at all, won’t get to higher gusts until 6pm and later.
Other than the driving any impact should be minor. But the trail report I posted was from Wed said drifts etc, so snowshoes for sure.
A member · Feb 6, 2026
Yes we are meeting in the Piper parking lot. Details are in the posting
A member · Feb 7, 2026
Guys snow not what they predicted and I need new tires as it is so too dangerous for me to drive. Alex and I spoke he is going to evacuate it from boston so he will also post if he decides to pull out.
A member · Feb 7, 2026
Leaving this event live so we can communicate
A member · Feb 7, 2026
Alex on his way. highway is fine so far for him. His ETA might be closer to 8:45 - 9am if there is slow traffic
A member · Feb 7, 2026
SO apologize for this. its not that much snow but the roads are a mess and it was dangerous to get to the highway (about 15 mintues for me). Buying new tires this weekend if I can. You should be good for a great hike up. Sorry again!
A member · Feb 7, 2026
Leaving this event live so we can communicate
A member · Feb 7, 2026
Leaving this event live so we can communicate

Log in to join the conversation.

Stay Connected with GayOutdoors

Receive outdoorsy tips, community updates, volunteer opportunities, event announcements, and trip reports.

We respect your privacy — unsubscribe anytime.