Skip to main content
Detour Travel Gay Travel Tours
All trip reports Trip Report Moderate to Strenuous

Day Hike Middle Sister via Carter Ledge Trail

Middle Sister via Carter Ridge & Middle Sister Trail

Saturday, April 30, 2022
Albany, NH
Moderate to Strenuous
Hosted by a member

The trip report

Written by a member

Departing from the main gate, we ascended the Carter Ridge Trail until the junction with Middle Sister Trail 1.0 miles in for the remainder of the ascent to the summit. Overall great trail conditions with several mild water crossings. Some ice the last 800' of ascent. Once we reached the ridge line, it was quick work to reach the summit. Opened up to spectacular views at the summit. Overall a spectacular are for leading my first event. Definitely more to come! Thanks to everyone that made it out, larger group than anticipated but we kept together and made great time.  8.9 miles in total for this Out & Back, 2661' of elevation gain, 4:48:20 moving time, an 06:39:43 total time to complete.

Event photos (5)

Reactions

👍 ❤️ 🔥 😄 😮

Log in to react to this trip report.

About this event

Arrving at the White Ledge Campground parking area or the front gate if not open. Parking is limited, carpooling or rally point TBD. Departing trailhead at 9:30am via the Carter Ledge Trail (43.95295,-71.2154) for ~1 mile until the junction, and then proceeding up Middle Sister Trail for ~3 miles to the summit of Middle Sister. Egressing in reverse with an estimated time to complete 6-8 hours depending on trail conditions and party pace.

Planned Trail Map

Distance ~8.25 miles
Elevation Gain ~2500'
Water Sources - Unknown / Unpredictable
Parking Area - Free At Last Check

Who came along (5)

A member
Profile hidden
Carl SUSTAINING
Carl
Leominster, MA
A member
Profile hidden
A member
Profile hidden
A member
Profile hidden

Comments

Carl · Mar 30, 2022
Hey guys. I was reading last night about a somewhat notorious ledge on the Carter Ledge Trail. I'm just wondering if anyone has done this trail in icy conditions before, as I'm guessing it will be in early April.
A member · Mar 30, 2022
The trail is on the terrifying 25 list, the ledges can be a bit hair raising. Most of the ledges are exposed to full sun most of the day, and depending on last snow, could be icy or clear. I’d expect icy sections in the shade, and a crap shoot for the rest. If it’s safely passable, great. If not, we bail.
Carl · Mar 30, 2022
Haha...I was going to bring up the T25 list, but didn't want to sound alarmist. I'm definitely game & look forward to seeing everyone in a couple weeks.
Carl · Apr 7, 2022
Hey Ketteic & Randy. I've been watching the weather all week and it's been pretty consistent that Saturday is going to include rain. What are your thoughts? Are you thinking of looking for a rain date or wait a little longer to see if the forecast changes?
A member · Apr 7, 2022
I normally wouldn't have an issue hiking in light rain but the forecast is above 80% for light to heavy rain all day. I an leaning to cancel and reschedule for a week or two out. Do two have a preference for a future date?
Carl · Apr 7, 2022
I'm available on 4/24, 4/30, or 5/1, but if those days don't work for you please feel free to reschedule on a day that does.
Randy · Apr 7, 2022
Sounds like a good idea to reschedule. Trails will be muddy at best and the rocks will be slick. The only day that does not work for me over the next few weeks is Sat 4/23. Definitely looking forward to doing this hike!
A member · Apr 8, 2022
Moved to April 30
Carl · Apr 8, 2022
Thanks for the update. See everyone on the 30th!
A member · Apr 27, 2022
Saturday’s weather is currently good, and reasonably dry for the next couple of days. Looks like we have a few more people interested in going, so if there is anyone that would like to meet at the Piper Trail parking ($5 parking fee) and carpool back, it’s about a five minute drive. I am unable to change the number of participants, but fine with additional people.

While we will be starting off on Carter Ledge Trail, we will be diverting to Middle Sister Trail for the ascent.
Carl · Apr 27, 2022
I'll plan on meeting at Piper Trail parking and carpooling to Carter.
A member · Apr 27, 2022
Saturday’s weather is currently good, and reasonably dry for the next couple of days. Looks like we have a few more people interested in going, so if there is anyone that would like to meet at the Piper Trail parking ($5 parking fee) and carpool back, it’s about a five minute drive. I am unable to change the number of participants, but fine with additional people.

While we will be starting off on Carter Ledge Trail, we will be diverting to Middle Sister Trail for the ascent.
Randy · Apr 28, 2022
Sorry that I won't be able to hike after all on Saturday, I have a new listing in Thornton that went on the market today and I expect to be busy this weekend. I hope you all have a spectacular day!
A member · Apr 29, 2022
Kettric - did you hear from either Bob or Jim on the waiting list. If not, do we need to deal with carpooling from Piper parking at all?
A member · Apr 29, 2022
Weather for tomorrow looks reasonably good, so we are a go for the trek tomorrow. I would expect Highwinds towards the summit. Micro spikes are going to be highly recommended. I am currently planning on parking at White ledges entrance, should be enough space without blocking the gate. See you all in the morning!
A member · Apr 29, 2022
Kettric - did you hear from either Bob or Jim on the waiting list. If not, do we need to deal with carpooling from Piper parking at all?
A member · Apr 29, 2022
Carl, I think we can all meet up at the Campground parking. We’ll only have 5 vehicles so even if the gate is closed we will likely fit. Let’s all meet at the campground and if necessary go drop a few cars off at Piper.
A member · Apr 30, 2022
My car won’t start this morning. Apparently a dead battery. Going to be arriving either barely on time or a bit late. If I’m not at the trail head by 945, feel free to depart. I’ll catch up or leave the event open for the group to complete.
A member · Apr 30, 2022
My new ETA is 9:30 on the dot, I will see if I make up time in route. See you all soon.
A member · May 1, 2022
My new ETA is 9:30 on the dot, I will see if I make up time in route. See you all soon.
A member · May 2, 2022
Carl, I think we can all meet up at the Campground parking. We’ll only have 5 vehicles so even if the gate is closed we will likely fit. Let’s all meet at the campground and if necessary go drop a few cars off at Piper.

Log in to join the conversation.

Stay Connected with GayOutdoors

Receive outdoorsy tips, community updates, volunteer opportunities, event announcements, and trip reports.

We respect your privacy — unsubscribe anytime.